2013-02-24

Rediscovering Catholicism?

As a parting gift at the end of midnight mass this past Christmas, all attendees were offered a copy of Matthew Kelly's Rediscover Catholicism: A Spiritual Guide to Living with Passion and Purpose. The book sat patiently waiting for me to open it for some weeks and, finally, I did. I was not disappointed.

Although I needed no convincing as to the importance of the Catholic faith in my life, I found myself needing to read with a pencil in hand in order to underline the multitude of gems this book has to offer. In reading, I am reminded of just how transformative living the faith can be in one's life.

As Catholic Christians we are hurting. Our beautiful churches represent the tradition and beauty of the faith that, in recent decades, has often not been properly communicated by clergy in the form of the mass. For the mass has been truncated, some would even go so far as to say blasphemed. Kelly perfectly covers this topic in part one of his book, which he names, We Become What We Celebrate.

However, this book does not serve to take aim at clergy. Instead, it takes aim at us, the church militant. Kelly reminds us that we are called as Catholic Christians to live an authentic life, which he describes as, Someone striving humbly but heroically to live by what is good, true, and noble in the midst of-and in spite of- the modern climate. (page 29)

Join me in the coming weeks as I explore some of the precious gems this book offers the willing reader.

God bless,
Peter's Bride

No comments:

Post a Comment