2013-04-13

My Battle Shield, Part One

Yesterday, I made mention of the Catholic's view of life on earth. Essentially, it's a battle out there. A battle between good and evil.

If you don't believe me, I suggest that you take a look at any newspaper any where. You will see stories of death, destruction, abuse, and misery. Sounds a lot like hell to me.

Believe me when I say that I am not prone to exaggeration and I am not blind, stupid (uneducated), or weak. I have just lived long enough and have witnessed enough malice in the public sphere to have grown wise. 

Some years ago, I began to wear a brown scapular and was enrolled into the Family of Carmel. It comprises a simple and short investiture by prayer and a blessing of the first scapular to be worn.

In wearing the brown scapular, I will receive protection in danger and against evil. My scapular is a sign of salvation and a pledge of peace.  Our Lady promises that those who die while wear the scapular will not suffer eternal fire. But, the brown scapular has even bigger implications for our times.

In a chance encounter in Rome, three men, who later became saints, met on a street corner. They were St. Dominic, St. Francis, and St. Angelus. This was no chance encounter, for the Holy Spirit must have orchestrated such a meeting. Each man made a prophesy to the other. Among the prophecies, as recorded by Ventimiglia, St. Dominic foretold the following:

"One day, Brother Angelus, to your Order of Carmel the Most Blessed Virgin Mary will give a devotion to be known as the Brown Scapular, and to my Order of Preachers she will give a devotion to be known as the Rosary. And one day, through the rosary and the scapular She [the Virgin Mary] will save the world."

Given the world we live in, doesn't it make sense to consider the brown scapular?

Please visit part two of the conversation.

God bless,

Peter's Bride

No comments:

Post a Comment