2013-04-14

My Battle Shield, Part Two

Wear the Scapular devoutly and perseveringly. It is my garment.
To be clothed in it means you are continually thinking of me, and I in turn,
am always thinking of you and helping you to secure eternal life.
                                                                                                          Blessed Virgin Mary
This is a true story.
When I was about two years old, my family once set out on vacation to visit my grandparents 'back home.' About ten miles away from the house, I apparently discovered that my blanket had not made it into the car and I began to cry. Crying turned into wailing, so much so, that my mother had to turn the car around and return home to retrieve the blanket.
My mother knew that I would not be content without the security that the baby blanket offered me. And, she knew she would have no peace until my blanket was repatriated with its devoted owner. With blanket in hand and out-stretched thumb, I was content to suck my thumb knowing that my "bankie" was with me.
And so it is with the brown scapular. Like my baby blanket, I am offered security in its wearing. I am cloaked in our Holy Mother's mantle and given protection. Our Heavenly Mother has offered such a mantle since 1251, when she instructed Saint Simon Stock to make this sacramental available to the world. The scapular is not a lucky charm. But, it is a sign to follow Jesus like Mary did, to be open to God's will, a commitment to prayer, and to know the my Holy Mother is always with me.
As mentioned in Part One, investiture into the Family of Carmel is a simple process. Most any priest who authorized to do so or is a Carmelite can perform the simple ceremony.  You may want to consider this option when you are being enrolled in the brown scapular and make such a request known to the priest at this time. You may recite a daily prayer, known as the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin or you may wish, instead, to recite daily five decades of the rosary, in order to receive the benefits of the Sabbatine privilege (Our Lady will release you from purgatory on the Saturday after death).
To obtain a free  brown scapular, click on this link. Offered by a lay ministry, these scapulars may be obtained for free. If you are in the financial position to do so, a donation for supplies would be most helpful to this voluntary group who do this work out of devotion to Our Blessed Mother.
If you would like to purchase a hand-made brown scapular made by a sister of the Sisters of Carmel, I invite you to visit this link. Having received one of these for Christmas, I can tell you that they are hand-stitched and truly a work of love.
Please know that I have no connection to these organizations, whatsoever, with the exception of course, of wearing a brown scapular. I am merely pointing you in the direction of two possible places online where the brown scapular can be obtained. You may also choose to visit your local Catholic book store as many also sell sacramentals.

Missed part one? Visit here!
God bless and Happy Easter!
Peace,
Peter's Bride

No comments:

Post a Comment