2013-07-07

Of Love and Loss


June was a difficult month.

I lost my darling mother who, at 71 years of age, died of a massive heart attack.

We had just arrived home from a trip to the US, where she visited loved ones and within five minutes of returning home, she was gone. I was with her at the time.

I am heart-broken.

I find myself walking the fine line between a sad acceptance and a certain amount of gratitude knowing that my mother passed in her own home, which she always wanted.Ten or fifteen minutes earlier and we would have been on the highway, which would have been a horrible thing. 

Mom was able to say "good-bye" to the many people she loved while visiting, which is actually pretty profound when you think about it. Conversations that she had with people in the week prior as well as the day before her death, signaled to me a kind of knowing that my mother had about her life on earth. My mother was very intuitive. She had a deep understanding of her faith and her role as a mother and transmitter of the faith. She believed, wholeheartedly.

I miss my mother greatly. She was my closest friend. I had so many plans for our summer together.  There were things she wanted to do and see. I thought we would do and see these things together. But, my plans are not God's plans and I have to accept this.

A priest once announced in his sermon while my mother was pregnant with me that mothers were "babysitters" for God. She always remembered this and often reminded me that I had an earthly mother in her, and a spiritual mother in Mary, Queen of Heaven. Please, kindly take a moment to remember my mother, Mary, who had a special devotion to Mary, Queen of Heaven. God bless my dear, sweet mother, Mary.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace.
The Lord is with Thee,
Blessed are You among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of Thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
Pray for Us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

God bless you,

Peter's Bride

No comments:

Post a Comment